| Help
midbodytop

Grow your own food successfully with localised knowledge at your finger tips, using our yearly Gardener subscription.
Register now
icon Profile

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Using Equisetum tea
Posted by: Peter. (IP Logged)
Date: April 26, 2008 10:20PM

Equisetum tea is a common plant tonic used in Biodynamic agriculture.It comes from the Horsetail Herb. The plant is very high in silica which is a vital element in plant growth. Equisetum tea is used to prevent aphids, fungus, blight, mildew etc. The dried plant is brewed by lightly boiling in water for an hour to create a potent tea. The tea helps to disolve the silica into a form that plants can very quickly absorb. This tea can be used fresh on plants or fermented for a few weeks in an earthenware container for an even stronger brew. When applying the tea it should be diluted (10 water to 1 Equisetum) and stirred in water for at least twenty minutes and then sprayed on plants.
Repeated applications over several days are effective in strengthening plants. 100g of Equistetum can treat up to 4 acres, so a little bit goes a long way

Re: Using Equisetum tea
Posted by: Natasha (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2009 04:02AM

Hi Peter,

thanks for that information. I have nettle and comfrey growing in my garden. I've heard they make good fertilizer teas and was wondering if you knew much about how they are helpful.

thanks
Natasha

Posted by: Peter (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2009 06:34AM

Hi Natasha,

Stinging nettle stimulates soil health, providing plants with the individual nutrition components needed. It enlivens the earth and helps to release iron into the soil. Helps to improve the potency of plants by increasing their sensitivity to their surroundings. It improves the nutritive qualities of plants.

Every vegetable patch should have a clump of stinging nettles as its not only good for compost preparations, but can be used a liquid manure and its presence among other plants is a beneficial companion, especially for control of aphids. Stinging nettle tea has long been recognised for its many benefical health giving qualities for human consumption. Nettle leaf is high in organic iron, chlorophyll, potassium, calcium, magnesium, silicic, folic and pantothenic acids and vitamins A, B1, B2, C and K.

Comfrey is also a wonderful plant for your garden. It has beneficial affects on soil health, is a deep rooted plant and draws up nutrients to help surrounding plants. The leaf growth is prolific and is excellent green matter for compost and I know many peioke who also use it as a mulch. I use it as border around a number of my garden beds. Its a beautiful looking plant and requires very little care and will keep coming back each year when the cionditions are right.

Hope that enough.

Peter
Happy gardening
www.cityfoodgrowers.com

Posted by: Natasha (IP Logged)
Date: June 20, 2009 02:58AM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that, that is a great help. I did have my nettle growing in my veggie patch, but I had to move it as I kept sticking my hand in it accidentally! I have transplanted it, but will probably find another spot in the vege garden for it after reading your post.

thanks
Natasha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Follow cityfoodgrowers on Twitter

Follow cityfoodgrowers on Facebook

refer a friend
Bookmark and Share
midbodybottom