| Help
midbodytop

Grow your own food successfully with localised knowledge at your finger tips, using our yearly Gardener subscription.
Register now
icon Profile

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Hyssop
Posted by: Sharon (IP Logged)
Date: September 14, 2010 02:12AM

Hi fellow gardens

I have heard Hyssop is great for attracting bees into the garden so when out and purchased a pkt of seed. Only thing is the pkt does not tell me how to sow them only to sow in Spring to Summer.

Can anyone help with:
Do you sow direct?
In full sun, part shade, shade?
Is Hyssop and annual or perinneal?
Do you plant in your vegie patch or in a bed nearby?

Thanks
Cheers
Sharon

Re: Hyssop
Posted by: Peter (IP Logged)
Date: September 14, 2010 06:25PM

Hi Sharon

We do not have hyssop in our plant database, but it will be in the near future. My research below on the plant will hopefully answers your questions:

1. When to plant - spring or summer - yes this is what the planting instructions will say but this depends on your climate. What part of Australia do you live in? Your winter may be like southern Australia's spring

2. The plant is a good bee attractor with its flowers and it also has a nice aroma. It is always good to have lots of scents in the garden.

3. You can sow the seed direct in a bed or in a planting tray. The plant can also be grown from cuttings and roots of the last seasons plant. Plant in moist fertile soil to get underway. Once it growing well it is quite a robust plant.

4. Since it is a flowering plant, it would prefer more sun, but it will tolerate shade. If you have a garden where the sun position changes over the year and its gets good sun levels in spring and summer, then having partial shade is OK.

5. It is a perennial

6. You can plant it in your vegie patch. I have many eneficial flower plants dotted around my garden. You could use it as a border plant. It can also be grown in pots on window sills if you want to grow the plant to consume it. Hyssop is also known as a good plant to distract the cabbage moth, so if you are growing any brassica crops, it will help.

7. Hyssop leaves are very good as part of mixed herbs for a meal or for tea and the flowers can be made into an oil which is supposed to have healing benefits.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Happy gardening
www.cityfoodgrowers.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Follow cityfoodgrowers on Twitter

Follow cityfoodgrowers on Facebook

refer a friend
Bookmark and Share
midbodybottom