| Help
midbodytop

Grow your own food successfully with localised knowledge at your finger tips, using our yearly Gardener subscription.
Register now
icon Profile

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Apples & Pears
Posted by: Natasha (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2009 05:18AM

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone in Brisbane has had any luck growing apples or pears.

My gardening mail order catalogue suggests they can be grown here, but I haven't heard of them grown very often in Brisbane. Even if they grow, I can't imagine how they would survive the fruit bats!

thanks

Natasha

Re: Apples & Pears
Posted by: Peter (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2009 04:23PM

Hi Natasha,

There are varieties of apples and pears that grow in Brisbane. The person I know in Brisbane who has the most knowledge in this regard is Sheryl Backhouse of the Sub-Tropical Fruit Club of Qld.

In the next release of our web site, we will be including fruit trees and it will be very easy to answer this question just be searching all fruit trees or trees by type using your climate profile established when you set up your membership. Its on the way.

Regards
Peter

Peter
Happy gardening
www.cityfoodgrowers.com

Posted by: Natasha (IP Logged)
Date: June 24, 2009 03:15PM

Thanks for that advice, Peter. Looking forward to the new website!

Natasha

Posted by: Peter (IP Logged)
Date: May 08, 2010 04:26AM

Hi Natasha,

Once you subscribe as a Gardeners subscriber to our new site you will be able to find the Apples and pear varieties to suit Brisbane. Its amazing how much content we have managed to get into this new release

Peter
Happy gardening
www.cityfoodgrowers.com

Posted by: Michelle (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2010 08:42PM

Hi Natasha,
Successfully grew a Tropical Anna in Samford. Parrots were my main problem !! Had to be quicker with the netting. Lovely trees - the blossoms are just beautiful. My parents are also growing Tropical Annas down in the Redlands area.

Cheers,
Michelle..............

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Follow cityfoodgrowers on Twitter

Follow cityfoodgrowers on Facebook

refer a friend
Bookmark and Share
midbodybottom