| Help
midbodytop

Grow your own food successfully with localised knowledge at your finger tips, using our yearly Gardener subscription.
Register now
icon Profile

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearch
Using Eggbox for planting seedlings?
Posted by: jim (IP Logged)
Date: July 30, 2010 02:36AM

Is it save to plant new seedlings in carton eggs boxes?
Thanks Jim.

Re: Using Eggbox for planting seedlings?
Posted by: Patrick (IP Logged)
Date: March 03, 2011 02:30AM

This is my question also. I have just read Peter's blog on the toxicity of newspaper in your vege garden and I am wondering if the same applies for egg boxes and recycled cardboard.I know someone who uses egg boxes to grow seedlings and then plants it in directly because it biodegrades.

Pat

Posted by: Rodney (IP Logged)
Date: July 22, 2011 06:16AM

so can i use one of those paper pot makers too? Which makes seedling pot form newspaper.

Posted by: Dean (IP Logged)
Date: May 03, 2013 02:01AM

Hi guys, my understanding is that the papers(black and white,particularly) use soy based inks and are therefore ok to use in the garden, I use them all the time for weed suppression and inclusion in composting and mulching.
I find egg cartons too shallow for seedlings and they do not develop good deep root systems.I use old butter/marg containers, strawberry/mushroom trays with a few holes punched in the bottom as I find this encourages much deeper and stronger root systems that transplant better.Some of these containers also have lids so condensation provides its only moisture needs. All of this is, of course, subject to the normal gardeners motto of "try it and stick with anything that works for you".I have never tried the paper pot makers but they seem like a great idea in that you can put the seedlings straight into the dirt, which must help with transplant shock( a major factor when shifting seedlings).
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Cheers....Dean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Follow cityfoodgrowers on Twitter

Follow cityfoodgrowers on Facebook

refer a friend
Bookmark and Share
midbodybottom